Thursday 6 July 2017

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3: Best Android tablet to consume media

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3

It was love at first sight. The sleek lines, the light weight, the smooth black surface and the brilliant screen. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (Rs 47,990) had bowled me over the first time I set sights on it. But did it mean a whole new world? Was I ready to let go of all my old ties? I wasn’t sure.

Let’s rewind a bit. I’ve used my fourth generation iPad with a keyboard case as my primary device for travel the past few years. With time, it has kept up with the knocks and scratches and I’d been thinking of retiring it. But it’s difficult to get out of such a relationship; there’s the added cost of a host of peripherals. I’ve been eyeing the latest iPad for some time and have been impressed with its performance; but I haven’t been able to switch because of the love for my old iPad and my inability to get hold of a keyboard cover as good as the one I have. Then Samsung sent in the Tab S3 for review. And I was impressed.

The Super AMOLED 9.7-inch screen, like the Galaxy S8 and S8+, supports HDR and is future ready. I spent nearly a day just watching videos on the brilliant screen; a pity it’s a bit reflective. The sound output is quite nice, though don’t expect a home theatre-like immersive experience. Due to the placement of the speakers, you wouldn’t normally muffle the sound in landscape mode. But the glass back is a fingerprint magnet.

Gaming is another aspect I loved on the bigger screen and I spent a lot of time playing my favourite, Asphalt 8: Airborne on the device, with it not heating up. Samsung’s optimised game mode ensured I had a good experience; that said, the S8 and S8+ feature zippier processors. The Tab S3 supports expandable memory and LTE, and I was able to make calls using a Reliance Jio connection without any hassles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Down under, ‘King’ Kohli is thunder: Why Aussies are going gaga over Virat

The Indian skipper’s exploits apart, the broadcasters may have little choice: With local stars Smith and Warner banned, they might grab so...